How To Scan A Digital Menu On Android and iOS? Hotels, bars, and restaurants are rapidly evolving to fit in the labyrinth of the digital world. As the world is getting back on its feet post the COVID catastrophe, they are working to create a safer and cleaner dining experience for their customers. Contactless Digital menus are part of this new approach.
However, it is a totally new concept and many are still confused about its usage and application. This blog is an effort to address those concerns from a customer’s perspective. We hope it clarifies some of your crucial doubts like how do I scan a digital menu.
There are two ways to scan a digital menu with an android phone. You can either use the built-in camera app or the Google Lens. There is a slight variation in these two approaches.
Scanning the QR Code On Android Phone With Built-in Camera
- Open up the built-in camera app.
- Place it over the QR code in a way that the QR code clearly appears on the screen.
- A banner will flash on your screen whenever the device acknowledges the QR code.
- Tap the banner and follow the instructions provided by hotel or restaurant management for signing in to their system.
Scanning the QR code on Android Phone With Google Lens
- Tap on the Google Assistant app on your android phone.
- Click on the Google Lens icon and share your camera access with it (if it asks).
- Point your android phone at the code that needs to be scanned. Once the Google Lens acknowledges that code, it will confirm the image with you by showing a preview of the content encoded under it.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon to see the list of actions you may use in response to the QR code.
How Do I Scan A Menu On My iPhone?
The instructions given below will allow you to use your iPhone, iPad, as well as your iPod Touch to scan a digital menu. Please note that these instructions are based on the 13th version of iOS. You may need to check with the Apple team for previous versions.
Scanning QR Code On iPhone With Built-In Camera
- Click on the camera app, you may either use the Lock or Home screens or the Control Center for this purpose.
- Point the phone at the code to get its clear image on your screen.
- As your phone acknowledges the code, it shows a notification on the top of its screen.
- Tap the notification and you will get access to the menu encoded in the QR code.
Scanning A QR Code On an iPhone Using Google Chrome Shortcut
Google Chrome offers a QR code scanner for iOS supported devices. So for direct access, you may download the app from the iOS App Store and get started.
- Click and hold the Chrome icon for a few seconds.
- As you select the Scan QR Code option, Chrome will open a new window.
- Point your device towards the QR code and bring it within the white frame.
- As Chrome registers the QR code, either it will open a new tab with the encoded URL or give you an actions list to select from.
Scanning A Digital Restaurant Menu on iPhone With Google Lens
- Download the Google app from the iOS app store. The simple, original Google app.
- Click the app icon and tap the Google Lens icon from the top right of the search bar.
- Give the Google Lens access to the device camera.
- Point the device at the QR code for scanning by Google Lens.
- Once Google acknowledges the code, it will give you a preview of the content encoded in it.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon to launch the actions list for interacting with the QR code.
A digital menu for restaurants is no different from a normal menu, except that it can be read on your smartphone instead of printed paper. Normally, restaurants using digital menus have a QR code either on the entrance or the table. When you scan the QR code, the menu opens up on your smartphone. So the question that pops up next is if there is any difference between the scanning process of iOS and Android-based phones? Let’s check!